World’s Best Ice Cream Parlors: Readers’ Picks
Recipe of the day
- Cancún, Las Vegas, and NYC: Top 3 Destinations for American Travelers in 2015
- Huntington Beach, Calif.: America’s Most Wallet-Friendly Food City
- 101 Best Restaurants in Latin America and the Caribbean
- 101 Best Restaurants in Latin America and the Caribbean 2013
- Celebrate Valentine’s Day with a Weekend at Gurney’s
A few weeks back, we ranked the World’s 25 Best Ice Cream Parlors. Narrowing down a world’s worth of shops to this definitive number was certainly a challenge for us, so it was no surprise when we received several reader recommendations for parlors that didn’t make our list.
From Italy to Vancouver, we’ve rounded up several of your recommendations. Some may deserve mentioning because of the ambiance (it certainly doesn’t hurt to be located across from the Trevi Fountain in Rome), others because of their selection of more than 200 flavors, while some just simply serve a delicious scoop.
Read below to see if your favorite made the follow-up cut. And if your pick still isn’t there? Share it with us — and other readers — by leaving a comment. I think we can agree that more ice cream parlor tips (especially worldwide) is always a good thing.
Vivoli is known for serving the best gelato in Florence, and has been family-owned for generations. You pay by the scoop here, but each scoop can be a different flavor. Cream (like sherbet) and orange are two flavors that are less likely to be found in other stores. Be warned: it can be a bit tricky to find. Having a map handy is highly recommended.
If locals brave the crowds near the Trevi Fountain for a scoop of gelato from Blue Ice in Rome, it has to be good. Aside from the common flavors, there are options for vegans as well. It’s great for large groups or for those on a budget. Their caramel crème flavor is an extra-special treat.
- La Casa Gelato in Vancouver has something that will satisfy everyone. It is the only shop in the world to carry 218 flavors at one location. And that doesn’t even include all their flavors (508 and counting). They carry everything from nonfat, non-dairy, low-fat, and sugar-free options to strange flavors such as corn, curry, blue cheese, dandelion, and wasabi/green apple.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts