- Chez Panisse opens (1971)
What Happened on The Chew Premiere
Recipe of the day
- Can We Guess Your Personality Based on Your Fast Food Burger Choice?
- Facebook Is Launching a Virtual Assistant That Will Make Dinner Reservations for You
- McDonald’s and Tyson Drop Chicken Supplier After Horrific Abuse Video Is Revealed
- More Than 100 People Fall Ill in California After Eating Chipotle
- Want to Learn All the Secret Menu Items at Your Favorite Restaurants? There’s an App for That
Here’s what happened:
• Michael Symon cooked some pork and beans. The very first dish! He asked a viewer why it was delicious, and the viewer responded, “...it’s just so delicious.”
• Dr. Oz showed up and told embarrassing stories about his daughter Daphne Oz. Here's a sample. On blueberries: “See how blue they are? That was the color Daphne was when she was born. She had the cord stuck around her neck." To which Clinton Kelly replied, “She was like Angry Smurf!”
• Carla baked fried apple pancake rings. Everyone loved it, and Carla was super peppy. Sample: "Yum, yum, and more yumminess."
• Mario Batali skipped the first 50 minutes or so, puttering around on a golf course for charity. He awkwardly made some pizza via satellite.
And here, the media chews up the show:
“It's safe to say everything will be adored and applauded here, even when Batali's pizza clearly has a burned crust.” — NY Daily News
“It's like one of those joke-y late-night-talk-show cooking segments, except it isn't funny and it lasts an entire hour.” — Grub Street
“‘The Chew’ has your standard dump-and-stir cooking demos, tips on entertaining and a mundane rehashing of food-related 'news.'... Attempts to make food accessible to the masses often came off as patronizing.” — Chicago Sun-Times
“I’m overwhelmed by the pace of content and the multiple personalities trying to have a voice and conduct segments. And it’s a shame that some of the brightest personalities fall to the background as a result.” — PopWatch/EW
Will you tune in for the second show? It airs at 1 p.m. ET, noon CT/PT on ABC.
The Daily Byte is a regular column dedicated to covering interesting food news and trends across the country. Click here for previous columns.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts