The Daily Byte's Weekly Media Mix rounds up the week's big food stories.
• Magnolia Bakery, the bakeshop that launched a thousand cupcakeries, opens its first Chicago store Saturday. [Grub Street]
• Sources say Friendly’s will file for bankruptcy; nostalgia ensues. [The Daily Meal]
• Eva Longoria talks about her dinner at El Bulli. There’s a lot of onomatopoeia and awesome photos. [Jimmy Kimmel Live, via Grub Street]
Shame of the Week
• Two Houston cops are accused of arresting a pot-possessing suspect, and then eating his pot brownies. "So HIGH... Good munchies," one officer supposedly wrote on the in-car computer. [HuffPo]
• Hurricane Irene did major damage in upstate New York. Here’s a devastating mini-documentary about what happened to David and Denise Lloyd of Maple Downs Farm. [Food Curated]
• A new web site lets you buy meat and cheese directly from farms, so you can support whatever farming method you prefer. [Home Grown Cow]
• Mark Zuckerberg shot and killed bison and made them into bison burgers. He was following his pledge to only eat meat he kills himself. [Fortune]
The Daily Byte is a regular column dedicated to covering interesting food news and trends across the country. Click here for previous columns.