- Fried Chicken Day
Weekly Media Mix: Veterans Day Freebies; Thanksgiving Dinner Prices; and Starbucks' Juice Expansion
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
The Daily Byte's Weekly Media Mix rounds up the week's big food stories.
• Today is Veterans Day, so if you're a veteran or active-duty service member, get some free food at participating locations. [OC Weekly]
• Colonel Sanders (the man behind KFC) left behind a 200-page manuscript about his love for food and recipes. The manuscript is missing the secret KFC chicken recipe, but you can look through it when KFC publishes the manuscript online next year. [Washington Post]
• Teens who eat more fiber-heavy foods have lower risks of heart disease and diabetes. Surprisingly, there was no correlation between those diseases and the amount of cholesterol and saturated fats in their diet. [Reuters]
• Rumors of Starbucks' juice expansion proved to be true. Starbucks purchased juicemaker Evolution Fresh Inc. for $30 million. [WSJ]
Shame of the Week
• A prominent spice seller allegedly ran naked through the workout area of New York's Four Seasons Hotel. When the cops came to remove him from his room, he opened the door with the latch on and said, "Peek-a-boo!" [NY Post]
• The cost of a Thanksgiving dinner for 10 is up $5.73 this year, a 13 percent increase and the largest jump in two decades. [Businessweek]
• ABC's working on a TV pilot based on the lives of chefs Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken. [LA Times]
• Watch an uninspired commercial for Pharrell's lady-focused alcohol, Qream. It features women in bikinis on a boat.
The Daily Byte is a regular column dedicated to covering interesting food news and trends across the country. Click here for previous columns.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts