Watermelon Steak "Au Poivre" with Jicama Slaw and Grapefruit Essence
- 2 thick slices red seedless watermelon, approximately 4 inches-by-3 inches-by-2 inches (rind off)
- 1 large jicama, peeled and julienned
- 3 red radishes, sliced
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and segmented, skin reserved
- 1/4 Cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 sprigs tarragon
- 2 Teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 bunch asparagus, blanched and cut into thirds
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 Cup white balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 2 Teaspoons pink peppercorns
- 1 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Salt and pepper, to taste
If you’re serving a tough crowd (aka those who don’t eat meat), this is a really refreshing and satisfying way to serve up some steaks, if you will.
Preheat the grill to high.
In a shallow bowl or Ziploc bag, combine the white balsamic vinegar, honey, peppercorns, and black pepper. Place the steaks of watermelon in the mixture and let sit for at least 10 minutes or until you are ready to grill.
In a small saucepot, place grapefruit rinds in cold water and bring to a boil. When the grapefruit rinds come to a boil, strain the rinds and repeat 3 times, reserve, and cool the rinds. In a blender, purée the blanched grapefruit rinds and slowly add in the olive oil, mustard, and salt until thickened; if it becomes too thick, add some of the grapefruit juice from the segments. Set the grapefruit essence aside.
Lightly oil the watermelon steaks and place them on the grill to slightly caramelize the steak. Cook for 4 minutes or until the grill marks stand out.
In a large bowl, mix the jicama, radish, tarragon sprigs, cherry tomatoes, asparagus, and grapefruit segments. Toss with some of the grapefruit essence and season to taste.
Serve the grilled watermelon on top of the Jicama Slaw and finish by drizzling the grapefruit essence around the watermelon steak.
Calories per serving:640 calories
Dietary restrictions:High Fiber Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Milk Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free