- Simone "Simca" Beck born (1904)
Visa Wellington on a Plate kicks in August
Visa Wellington On a PlateFrom August 15 through August 31, Visa Wellingon On a Plate will celebrate the food and beverage industry of Wellington, New Zealand.
Visa Wellington On a Plate
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
Considered New Zealand’s largest and tastiest culinary festival, Visa Wellington On a Plate is kicking off its sixth year this August in Wellington, New Zealand.
From August 15 through August 31, Visa Wellingon On a Plate will celebrate the food and beverage industry of the country's capital, Wellington.
Wellington is the perfect location for this festival. The city has a sophisticated food scene that includes more than 300 cafes, bars and restaurants, and claims more places to eat and drink per capita than New York.
With more than 120 festival events and almost 100 eateries over 17 days, Visa Wellington On a Plate can feed the mind of visitors with food-focused lectures and exclusive events. An inclusive menu that stacks up everything from haute cuisine to the simple pleasures of seafood straight from the ocean and the best home baking.
DINE Wellington is the centerpiece of the festival, with 100 of the region's finest eateries offer lunchtime and dinner specials. Showcasing produce, products and suppliers from throughout the greater Wellington area, DINE Wellington highlights the region's flavors and culinary finesse.
Other festival highlights include:
- Burger Wellington: Also called "battle of the burger" where 69 restaurants are competing to offer Wellington's best burger, August 15-31.
- Wairarapa Truffle Degustation: Join chef Anthony North to taste six amazing courses of unique, innovative dishes featuring truffle sourced from a secret location in the Wairarapa, August 22nd.
- Beervana: Taste new releases from more than 200 craft beers, meet dynamic personalities and dine on fantastic fare from Wellington's best restaurateurs, August 22-23.
- Unwrapping the Art of Food in Film: Participate and learn about food, props, special effects and set making/dressing with demonstrations, presentations and interactive activities, August 27th.
Alexandra E. Petri is the travel editor at The Daily Meal. You can follow her on Twitter @writewayaround
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts