- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 head garlic, roasted
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds, toasted*
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup canned white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup canned great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup canned red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup canned corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups water or low-sodium vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 4 squares 75-percent chocolate, preferably organic
- One 28-ounce can tomatoes
- Juice of 1 lime
- Juice of 1 lemon
Beans are an ideal source of Clean-Eating protein and even those who aren’t vegetarian love this “meaty” meatless chili recipe. It is still a satisfying version of chili without losing out on hearty flavor. Use leftovers in a wrap for lunch the next day.
In a Dutch oven, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and carrot and sauté until the onion becomes soft and translucent. Stir in the chili powder, cumin seeds, and red pepper flakes.
Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the remaining ingredients. Blend well. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and serve immediately.