- Agoston Haraszthy born (1812)
Vegan Pinto Bean Chili
- 4 cups (12-ounce bag) frozen pepper and onion mix (if these are larger pieces, grind in a food processor to desired size), thawed or use a fresh mixture of the vegetables
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- One 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- One 14.5 ounce-can petite diced tomatoes
- 8 cups cooked pinto beans (the secret special ingredient)
- ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground dried coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (this brightens all the flavors...trust me on this one!)
I realize there are about a million and one ways to make chili, so I figured I would make it a million and two.
In a pot over medium-low heat, cook the peppers and onions until translucent. Add the garlic and sautée for a minute. Add a little water to the pan if you need moisture to keep the vegetables from burning or sticking.
When the vegetables are cooked, add all of the remaining ingredients except the vinegar to the pot. Simmer for 20 minutes. Then add the vinegar when done.