Enlarge Image +
Credit: @ Erin Swing
As a Gluten-Free Chef / Organic Chemist, my mission is to improve lives through kick-ass gluten-free food. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in 2003 and I am very gluten sensitive. I left my job as a Chemist after 14 years at Procter & Gamble to pursue my culinary dreams. I graduated from the Midwest Culinary Institute in late 2009. Then, spent the first quarter of 2010 investigating gluten-free baking formulation at Ferran Adria's R&D facility, Alicia Fundacio, outside of Barcelona. I focus on reinventing my favorite foods, gluten-free. And want to create & teach you how to make gluten-free food so good, you don't have to compromise.
Read her work at The Sensitive Epicure.
- Likes: Travel, music, brewing wine (& drinking wine), cats, speaking broken Spanish, making jewelry.
- Dislikes: Heights, okra, beets, mountain yams, poor table manners.
- All Time Favorite Restaurants: O Thanasis (Athens); Bar Inopia (Barcelona, now closed); Skyline Chili (Cincinnati); Ambar India (Cincinnati); Chipotle.
- Foods I cannot live without: goetta (Cincinnati sausage), brown sticky rice, eggs, cheese, peas, chives, roasted seaweed, black truffle salt, desserts (all of them).
- Best Meal Ever: Boca (Cincinnati) Chef's tasting menu with wine pairings for a friend's milestone birthday. The chef had a special gluten-free menu for me. Such a memorable & special night. The 9 glasses of wine didn't hurt, either.
Recently my mother-in-law moved into a new condominium after living in the same house for 25 years. Last week I went to her house and she told me something was wrong with her oven. She told me that this new oven does not cook the same way her new oven. We...
Soda bread uses a chemical leavening, meaning it is risen by an acid-base reaction (soda refers to the base used — baking soda) and is different from traditional bread that uses sugar and yeast (single cell organisms) to produce carbon dioxide gas...
With the Oscars just around the corner, I decided to conduct my own nominations for the best gluten-free (GF) products on the market. As someone with Celiac disease, I’ve found that it takes careful scouring (not to mention time and patience) to...
Before taking a cooking class while traveling in Thailand, I did not know much about traditional Thai desserts. I was surprised to learn that the two most common desserts are gluten-free: Bananas in Coconut Milk and mango sticky rice. Although they don...
Tofu seems to be one of those ingredients that polarizes people — and I think I know why. It's quite simple actually; it's a matter of how the tofu is prepared before it is cooked. Tofu acts like a blank canvas in both texture and flavor....
While I was in Thailand, I took a day-long cooking class in Ao Nang. The instructor began by introducing common Thai ingredients like lemongrass, tender garlic, tiny balls of eggplants, galangal, kaffir lime, and kaffir lime leaves, basil, fish sauce,...