Enlarge Image +
Credit: @ BradleyHawks
A freelance food writer and photographer in New York City, and a proud contributor to The Daily Meal. You can check out my work at www.bradleyhawks.com, or www.boromag.com where I am a staff food writer.
- Likes: Off the beaten path finds, hole-in-the-wall restaurants with authentic international cuisines. I love getting the story behind a dish... meeting the chef and hearing the inspiration.
- Dislikes: People or restaurants that act elitist, or make a snobbery of eating... it's something social that should bring people together. Some of NYC's fanciest restaurants do a great job at welcoming everyone. I love that.
- All Time Favorite Restaurants: Ornella Trattoria in Astoria (Giuseppe, the owner, makes his own pasta from quirky flours, and will sit at the table with you and tell the story of each dish), Basil Brick Oven, Ssam Bar and Milk Bar... and Queens Comfort is an obsession. They change the menu almost daily with funky twists on classic comfort foods!
- Foods I cannot live without: fresh pastas, anything with melted cheese, fantastic breads... and any combination of chocolate and raspberry.
- Best Meal Ever: Grandma's Sunday lunch after church... nothing compares!
Comfort foods demand no gimmick whatsoever to do precisely what their name suggests. But when a talented chef can take a classic and spin it with a unique twist, a meal can elevate from comforting to mesmerizing. See 10 American Comfort Foods with a Kick...
St. Michaels, Md., is known as the town that fooled the British. The Chesapeake Bay town earned its moniker during the War of 1812, when residents hoisted lanterns high into the trees; the resulting illusion of a heightened shoreline caused the British to...
Lasagna cupcakes are one of the easiest, most versatile morsels I like to make at home, especially when hosting a large group of friends. It’s my favorite kind of dish: one that demands little time, but garners endless praise from party guests....