Update: New York State AG Investigating Energy Drinks
Recipe of the day
- What Did The World's Most Notorious Criminals Request for Their Last Meals?
- ‘World’s Hottest Burger’ is Doused in Hot Sauce and Literally Set on Fire
- KFC is Launching Edible Coffee Cups Made of Cookies and Chocolate
- Fermented Shark and 10 More of the World’s Stinkiest Foods
- Foods That Make You Feel Fuller Longer
- 8 Drinks That Help Fight Diabetes
- New Product Offers ‘Wine Without the Hangover’… Because There’s No Alcohol in It
- Soda Company Celebrates ‘Deflategate’ with Flat Sodas
- Dr Pepper Snapple Group Teams Up with Keurig for Forthcoming At-Home Cold Beverage System
- Scientists Treat Alcoholics with a Fake Bar and Colored Water
Remember a few weeks back when word came out that Monster Energy Drinks, the largest seller of energy drinks, was being investigated? Now, new details about the case have been leaked — including who's leading the investigation.
It was Eric Schneiderman, the state attorney general of New York, who subpoenaed Monster Energy Drinks and two other companies, PepsiCo and Living Beverage, reports The New York Times and the Wall Street Journal. Schneiderman's intent is to investigate whether the companies violated federal law by promoting the energy drinks as a dietary supplement, therefore misleading consumers. And that's not all: there's even word that some companies are not labeling extra sources of caffeine in the drink, like black tea extract and guarana.
It's the first real move by the government to do something about these energy drinks; back in 2010, the FDA issued a warning to four energy drink makers citing health concerns, but no real change came of it. However, the American Beverage Assocation says drink makers have already done their part by restricting sales in schools, and voluntarily restricting marketing to children. Plus, it says that caffeine levels in the drinks, as well as ingredient labels, had been regulated by the FDA. We'll have to see what happens next.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts