Tuscan Bean Soup
- 1 thumb-sized piece kombu
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Cup chopped onion
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- 2 Teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 Teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 1/2 Cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 1/2 Cup cooked white beans
- 1 1/2 Cup cooked aduki beans
- 4 Cups canned chopped tomatoes with their juices
- 1 bunch kale or collard greens, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 2 Cups water or vegetable stock
- 1 Tablespoon brown rice vinegar
- 1 Cup red wine
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 Cup chopped parsley, for garnish
This soup has it all — protein, calcium, minerals, and more! If you’re short on time, use canned beans. For a heartier meal, serve over pasta or grilled polenta. Add some garlic bread and you have a delicious feast.
Place the kombu in a bowl with enough water to cover and soak until soft, about 10 minutes. Drain, mince, and set aside.
In a Dutch oven over medium heat, sauté the garlic and onion in the olive oil until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the basil, oregano, and rosemary and stir. Add the kombu, chickpeas, white beans, aduki beans, tomatoes, greens, and stock or water.
Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer. Stir in the vinegar and wine, season with salt and pepper, to taste, cover, and cook for 45 minutes. Remove from the heat, garnish with parsley, and serve.