Tuna Noodle Casserole
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 Cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons whole-wheat flour, plus more as needed
- 1 Cup mushroom broth
- 3/4 Cups lactose-free milk, such as Lactaid, plus more as needed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6-8 ounces egg noodles, cooked
- One 5-ounce can tuna in water
- 1/2 Cup peas, preferably organic
- 1/2 Cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar
- 1 Teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon breadcrumbs
This is my absolute, without a doubt, favorite food of all time. My mother made it for me on a weekly basis growing up and I have continued to make it for myself as often as possible since leaving her loving nest. It's comfort food at its most comforting and I love it. I adapted my mother's recipe to make it a lactose-free experience, without sacrificing any taste!
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Heat the olive oil in large frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and mushrooms. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add the flour and stir until well mixed. Add the broth and ½ cup of the milk and whisk continously until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. (At this point you can use your best judgment to add more flour or milk to get a consistency that you like. It should be as thick as a gravy.)
Put the cooked noodles, tuna, peas, cheese, Worcestershire sauce, remaining milk, and mushroom sauce in a casserole dish. Mix well. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top and bake uncovered in the oven for 20-30 minutes. Season with more salt and pepper, to taste.
Note: You can skip making the mushroom broth sauce and use a can of cream of mushroom soup if you want, but then it wouldn't be lactose-free!