- 2 ripe red tomatoes, cored and cut into sixths
- 2 ripe orange tomatoes, cored and cut into sixths
- 2 ripe yellow tomatoes, cored and cut into sixths
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 medium-sized red onion, cut into eighths
- 2 small purple or green bell peppers, seeded and chopped coarsely
- 1 English cucumber, chopped coarsely
- 2 Tablespoons mint leaves, plus a handful for garnish
- Sea salt, to taste
- Sherry vinegar, to taste
- Pinch of cayenne, or to taste
- 1/2 Cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 3/4 Cups diced fresh mozzarella (about 3 ounces)
- Two 1/2-inch-thick French bread slices, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
Here’s our twist on the classic Spanish soup. The different colors of ripe tomatoes, refreshing mint, and soft cheese garnish make this gazpacho a real hit. Every tomato is different, so tasting is the key here. Some will need a little more salt, more vinegar, or, in some cases, even a pinch of sugar. Make this up to a day ahead and serve it as a first course or a lunch along with hunks of grilled hearty bread and a cruet of good-quality olive oil for drizzling.
Place the tomatoes, garlic, onion, all but ½ cup of the peppers, all but ½ cup of the cucumber, and the mint in a blender and purée into a slightly chunky texture. (This most likely must be done in batches.)
Remove the soup to a large serving bowl. Season with salt, vinegar, and cayenne, to taste. Cover the soup and refrigerate until well chilled. Taste again and reseason if necessary.
Mince the remaining chopped peppers and cucumber and place side by side on a serving platter. Place the cherry tomatoes and cheese side by side on the platter.
In a small skillet, sauté the bread cubes in the oil until golden. Drain and place on the platter. Scatter a few additional mint leaves over the entire platter. Serve the gazpacho in individual bowls, passing the serving platter of garnishes at the table.
Calories per serving:181 calories
Dietary restrictions:Balanced Vegetarian, Egg Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free
Have a question about nutritional data? Let us know.