- Nathan Myhrvold born (1959)
Tipsy Apple Pie
Taste of Home
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- One 21-ounce can apple pie filling
- ¼ cup brandy
- 1 teaspoon crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- ¼ cup cold butter, cubed
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- One 9-inch pie plate
Try this refreshing (or perhaps, mind-numbing) twist on a familiar classic. Brandy and crystallized ginger give this apple pie some serious kick.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Unroll the pastry into a 9-inch pie plate and flute the edges. In a large bowl, combine the pie filling, brandy, and ginger. Pour the mixture into the crust.
Place the brown sugar, flour, oats, butter, cinnamon, and salt in a food processor. Cover and pulse until coarse crumbs form; sprinkle the mixture over the pie. Cover the edges of the pastry loosely with foil.
Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees; remove the foil and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.