Thai Green Coconut Curry with Chicken
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 ½ tablespoons green curry paste or to taste
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 1-inch pieces and bruised with back of knife (optional)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 ½ tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 1 ½-inch chunks
- 16 ounces (two 8-ounce cans) bamboo shoots
- 1 cup frozen peas
- One 14 ½-ounce can diced tomatoes
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 cup cooked jasmine rice, for serving
- Cilantro or Thai basil, chopped, for garnish (optional)
Who needs takeout when making a delicious Thai curry, like this one, is so easy? Loaded with good-for-you vegetables and chunks of lean chicken, served on top of steamed rice, it's the perfect comforting meal after a long day at work.
Heat 1/3 cup of the coconut milk in a non-stick pot or stir-fry pan over moderate heat until bubbly and hot. Add in the curry paste and lemongrass and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. (Here's a secret, the dish still works without the lemongrass — I know it can sometimes be difficult to get from your local grocery store, so don't stress if you can't find it.)
Add in chicken broth, fish sauce, sugar, and turmeric and stir to mix well. Bring to a low boil then add the chicken and cook until it turns white, about 3-5 minutes. Reduce to a simmer. Add in the rest of the coconut milk, bamboo shoots, peas, and tomatoes. Continue to simmer on low until the vegetables are hot and cooked through, about 3 minutes. (You want to make sure you avoid boiling the curry at this stage as the coconut milk would risk separating.)
When ready, remove from heat. Discard the lemongrass if you used it, and stir in lime zest (a great substitute for recipes that normally call for Kaffir lime leaves, another often-hard-to-find ingredient). Serve in a bowl with a couple spoonfuls of cooked jasmine rice and garnish with cilantro or Thai basil, if using.
Calories per serving:340 calories
Dietary restrictions:High Fiber Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Milk Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free
Have a question about nutritional data? Let us know.