Sweet and Zippy Stuffing Recipe
- 6 cups water
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3-4 stalks celery, cut into small pieces
- 2 s bags seasoned stuffing mix
- 1 large jar applesauce, sweetened or unsweetened
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries or Craisins (optional)
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts (optional)
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and sliced thinly (optional)
- Nutella Amaretto Icebox Cookies with Almonds Recipe
- Holiday Mint Squares Recipe
- Christmas Cutout Cookies
- Pineapple Cherry Cookies Recipe
- Orange Ricotta Cookies Recipe
- Half-Moon Christmas Cookies Recipe
- Holiday Turnip Mash Recipe
- Blue Cheese and Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread Recipe
Add a little zip to your holiday stuffing this year with Craisins and applesauce. You can make this stuffing a day in advance and bake it half an hour before dinner is served.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Add the water and butter to a stockpot and place over high heat.
In a small pan, sauté the onion until soft, but not browned, about 10 minutes. When the water reaches a boil, remove from heat and add the cooked onions, celery, and stuffing mix. Stir well. Add the applesauce while stirring and slowly toss in the cranberries, chestnuts, or apples, if using. The mixture should not be too dry, nor should it be too wet. Adjust the amount of applesauce to get a good balance of moisture.
Transfer to a baking dish and bake for about 20 minutes. (This stuffing can be made a day in advance. If baking directly from the refrigerator, cover with foil and bake approximately 10 minutes longer.)
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts