Spinach and Artichoke Dip Recipe
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 2/3 cup fresh-grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- ¼ teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ¾ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste if needed
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Two 10-ounce boxes frozen chopped spinach, thawed, and squeezed dry
- 18 ounces artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 cup shredded cheese, preferably fontina or mozzarella
- Pita chips and slices of crusty baguette, for serving
- Harvest Kale Salad with Honey-Miso Dressing
- Garlic Ginger Chicken Wings
- Maple-Bacon Salmon
- Slow-Cooked Short Ribs
- Perfect Soft-Boiled Eggs with Toast Soldiers
- Merguez, Kale, and Sweet Potato Frittata
- Easy Peanut Butter Cookie
- Green Beans Almondine
- Sausage-Stuffed Acorn Squash with Pinenuts and Cherries
For the past few years, my friends and I have been monthly regulars at the steakhouse chain Hillstone (formerly known as Houston’s), where we catch up and order only three things from the menu, one being the warm spinach and artichoke dip. Once you have one bite, there's no stopping.
Needing a dip fix, I was inspired by the restaurant's spinach dip and started to play around with ingredients, forgoing cream cheese for a béchamel from scratch, adding a kick of cayenne, a bit of lemon for brightness, and lots of spinach and artichokes. While it’s not quite the same as the restaurant’s, it’s pretty darn close and works for me.
In a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, sauté garlic in butter until golden, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
Slowly whisk in cream and broth and continue cooking until boiling. Once boiling, stir in Parmigiano-Reggiano, lemon juice, cayenne, and salt; stir until cheese has melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
Stir sour cream into pan, and then fold in dry spinach and artichoke hearts. Fold the mixture into a microwave-safe 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Sprinkle cheddar evenly over top. At this point, the dip can be refrigerated until ready to serve, if desired. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until bubbly, or microwave on medium heat until bubbly. Serve with pita chips and slices of crusty bread.