Spicy Mac and Cheese
- 1/2 Cup sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 Cups broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 Cup elbow macaroni
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 Cup green onions, sliced, green parts only
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 Teaspoons cayenne
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon dried basil
- 1 Teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 3/4 Cup whole milk
- 3/4 Cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 Cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1/2 Cup shredded Gouda cheese
- Grilled Hot Wings 3 Ways
- Chili Frito Pie
- Stuffed Mac and Cheese Nacho Dumplings
- International Sliders
- Pumpkin Cranberry Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Icing
- Spiced Cranberry Coffee Cake
- Cranberry Sweet Chili Wings with Creamy Feta Sauce
- Spiced Halloumi Salad with Cranberry Dressing
- Monkey Bread with Cranberry Orange Sauce
We love any way to spice up a mac and cheese, and this recipe was one of our favorites. Sun-dried tomatoes, broccoli florets, and a cheesy sauce take the heat with a dash of cayenne, resulting in a savory and gooey mac and cheese that has a hint of spice in it.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt generously. Scoop out 1 cup of hot water and pour into a bowl, add the sun-dried tomatoes to it, and let stand 10 minutes or until softened.
To the pot of boiling water, add the broccoli florets and cook 3 minutes, remove florets, and set aside. In the same boiling water, cook the pasta according to the package instructions, strain, and add to broccoli.
In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the green onions and sauté until softened, 4 minutes. Stir in the flour, cayenne, basil, and 1 teaspoon salt and cook until the flour is absorbed by the butter and forms a paste. Pour in the milk and whisk until thickened. Sprinkle in 1/2 of the Cheddar and all of the Gruyère and Gouda and stir until melted. Remove the saucepan from the heat and add in the reserved broccoli, pasta, and strained sun-dried tomatoes. Stir to combine and season with salt to taste. Transfer the mac and cheese to an 8-inch-by-8-inch casserole dish and sprinkle the remaining Cheddar cheese over the top. Bake for 30 minutes until bubbly and heated through.
Click here to see the Casserole Queens whip this mac and cheese up on HUNGRY.