Slow-Cooked Spicy Black Bean Soup Recipe
- Three 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- One 14 ½-ounce can diced tomatoes
- One 4-ounce can diced green chiles
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cooked ham, diced (optional)
- 1/2 large onion, diced (optional)
- 1 cup corn (optional)
- 1/3 carrots, chopped (optional)
- 1/3 cup celery, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon jalapeño pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon habanero hot sauce, or to taste
- 1 large bay leaf
This slow cooker soup is true to its name... spicy! But, have no fear, even if you have a severe dislike for spicy food, this recipe is easily modified to be safe for all taste buds.
In a large slow cooker, mix the together black beans, diced tomatoes, green chiles, garlic, and chicken broth. If using, add the optional ingredients.
In a bowl, mix together the spices and add to the soup mixture. Then, add the hot sauce and bay leaf. Cook on low for 4 hours. Serve hot.
Calories per serving:469 calories
Dietary restrictions:High Fiber, Low Fat, Low Sodium Sugar Conscious, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Milk Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free, No Oil Added, No Sugar Added