- Sylvester (Crackers) Graham born (1794)
Slow-Cooked Spicy Black Bean Soup Recipe
- Three 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- One 14 ½-ounce can diced tomatoes
- One 4-ounce can diced green chiles
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cooked ham, diced (optional)
- 1/2 large onion, diced (optional)
- 1 cup corn (optional)
- 1/3 carrots, chopped (optional)
- 1/3 cup celery, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon jalapeño pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon habanero hot sauce, or to taste
- 1 large bay leaf
This slow cooker soup is true to its name... spicy! But, have no fear, even if you have a severe dislike for spicy food, this recipe is easily modified to be safe for all taste buds.
In a large slow cooker, mix the together black beans, diced tomatoes, green chiles, garlic, and chicken broth. If using, add the optional ingredients.
In a bowl, mix together the spices and add to the soup mixture. Then, add the hot sauce and bay leaf. Cook on low for 4 hours. Serve hot.