Shrimp Pasta with Spicy Tomato Sauce Recipe
- Salt, for cooking pasta, plus more to taste
- 1 butter
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 rock shrimp
- 1/4 extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red chile pepper flakes
- 1/2 onion, diced finely
- 1 carrot, diced finely
- 1 celery, diced finely
- 2 jalapeños, minced
- One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 20 basil leaves, torn
- 1/4 flat-leaf parsley, chiffonade, for garnish
- Foil-Baked Salmon with Mango, Chile, and Lime
- Grilled Eggplant with Feta and Cucumber
- Grilled Swordfish Sliders
- Cinnamon-Scented Millet with Grilled Summer Vegetables
- Penne with Cherry Tomatoes and Zucchini Blossoms
- Grilled Swordfish with Thai Dipping Sauce
- Bacon and Jarlsberg Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 'No-Name' Hot Dog
- Grilled Fish with Watermelon Salsa
I was lucky enough to find fresh, wild rock shrimp, so I decided to keep it simple and make an easy pasta dish incorporating them. The red chile pepper flakes and jalapeños add a nice background heat without overwhelming the sauce. Feel free to use less.
Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Season with salt until it tastes like the sea.
Meanwhile, heat the butter in a saucepot over medium heat until the foam subsides. Add about a quarter of the garlic and sauté until it just begins to color, about 1 minute. Add the shrimp and cook just until they begin to color, about 4 minutes. Stir occasionally so that they cook evenly. Season with salt, to taste. Remove the shrimp from the pot and set aside.
Heat the oil in the same saucepot over medium heat, and add the red pepper flakes. After 2 minutes, add the onion, carrot, celery, jalapeños, and remaining garlic. Sauté until softened, about 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to package directions. Drain in a colander and reserve.
Once the vegetables are softened, add the tomatoes to the saucepot, return to a simmer, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until the sauce is thickened, about 20-30 minutes. Stir occasionally. Remove from heat, add salt to taste, and stir in the basil leaves.
Combine with the shrimp and pasta in a large bowl, and stir well to combine. Garnish with parsley, and serve.