Shrimp with Green Curry
- 1/2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons jarred Thai green curry
- 1 Teaspoon anchovy paste
- One 13.5-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 Tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 Pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 Pound green beans, cut on the diagonal into bite-size pieces
- 2 scallions, sliced on the diagonal
- Fresh lime juice, to taste
- Steamed rice, for serving
- Sriracha or hot sauce of your choice, for serving (optional)
- Handful of cilantro, roughly chopped, for serving (optional)
This dish always seems to get a "wow" when we serve it. It also takes less than 15 minutes to make, thanks to jarred Thai green curry paste, which is one of our pantry staples. Yes, fresh curry paste is superior, but we can’t always find lemongrass, Thai ginger, Kaffir lime, and bird’s eye chiles, and grinding them is a whole ‘nother story. Recommended brands include Mae Ploy and Maesri. Feel free to substitute different vegetables, such as thinly sliced carrots, sugar snaps, or frozen peas, in place of the green beans.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the curry paste and anchovy paste and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the coconut milk and brown sugar and stir to combine. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 3 minutes.
Add the shrimp and green beans and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp are almost cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. (Shrimp get rubbery when overcooked, so it’s better to remove them from the heat a little early and let the residual heat finish cooking them. You can always return them to the heat for another minute or 2 if you find them too rare.)
Stir in the scallions and a generous squeeze of lime juice, then check the seasonings. (If the curry and anchovy pastes didn’t provide enough salt, add some.) Serve the curry with steamed rice, Sriracha, and/or cilantro, if you like.
Calories per serving:247 calories
Dietary restrictions:Low Carb Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Milk Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Alcohol Free