- Ice Cream Month begins
- Blueberry Month begins
The Scoop on Seafood
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
- USDA Approves Chobani Greek Yogurt as Meat Alternative in Public Schools
- The USDA Considers Implementing Healthy Meals for Children in Daycares to Fight Childhood Obesity
- Fatty and Sugary Foods Could Diminish Important Brain Functions
- Confessions of a Picky Eater: Punta Cana Pescado
- Pizza Guy Administers CPR to Customer: ‘I Left a Pizza Boy, and Came Back a Pizza Man’
From a restaurant handing out free sushi to shark attack victims to a newly discovered strain of poisonous shellfish, here are the latest seafood-related stories making headlines.
• Shark Attack Survivors Bite Back: Kaiju Sushi and Rice Balls in New Smyrna Beach, Florida, is giving shark attack survivors a unique opportunity for retribution — free mako shark sushi. New Smyrna Beach has been identified by the International Shark Attack File as having the greatest number of attacks in the world, citing 235 incidences (and zero fatalities) between 1882 and 2010.
• Toxic Shellfish in Washington: Shellfish harvesting in Sequim Bay (a small body of water between the Puget Sound and the Pacific Ocean) shut down on Friday after Washington health officials announced the first cases of an illness linked to a new strain of biotoxin found in seafood. Three individuals were diagnosed with Diarrhetic Shellfish Poisoning brought on by eating Sequim Bay mussels.
• Food Network Goes Shark-Free: Food Network has responded positively to a petition from Change.org asking them to remove all recipes including shark meat as an ingredient. In accordance with the petition (which was signed by 30,000 people) Food Network has agreed to take down all shark recipes published online and refrain from using shark meat on TV and in their magazine.
The Daily Byte is a regular column dedicated to covering interesting food news and trends across the country. Click here for previous columns.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts