Sandwich of the Week: Meat Cheese Bread’s The Maple
Today on The Daily Meal
- Sandwich of the Week: All About The Bread’s Honey Chicken
- Sandwich of the Week: Schwartz’s Smoked Meat Sandwich
- Sandwich of the Week: Mario’s Bohemian Cigar Shop’s Breaded Eggplant
- Sandwich of the Week: Beach Street Sandwiches' Smoked Ham and Cheese
- Sandwich of the Week: Al’s French Frys' Double Cheese
- Cook and Janitor of Nursing Home Kept Working without Pay Because 'If We Left, They Wouldn't Have Nobody'
- Outpouring of Appreciation for Cook and Janitor Who Stayed Behind at Shuttered Nursing Home (and How You Can Help)
- 8 Irish Whiskies Beyond Jameson
- America’s Unhealthiest Fast Foods
- 8 Great Thanksgiving Toasts for Every Family
What exactly does it take to be considered a perfect breakfast sandwich? It’s a question that has no correct answer, but The Maple, from Portland, Ore.’s Meat Cheese Bread, is certainly a good place to start.
Our Sandwich of the Week starts with a homemade sausage patty, crisped to a golden brown on the flat-top. This gets topped with oozy, melting spicy cheddar cheese, which gets browned in the broiler, then the whole thing is placed atop some crunchy shaved fennel, which helps cut through the heaviness.
The logical next step would be to place the three ingredients on some sort of a roll, maybe crusty French bread, and call it a day. But no, they’ve gone and elevated this one step further: in lieu of bread, they use bread pudding. Maple-currant bread pudding, to be exact, also browned on the flat-top, and it tastes like the best French toast you’ll ever have. The whole thing costs $7.50, and if you’d like a fried egg on top they’ll be more than happy to oblige for $1 extra.
Be warned, though: you’ll need a knife and fork for this ultimate hangover-buster.
Click here for other featured sandwiches or check out the 2012 Year in Sandwiches and the Sandwich of the Week Slideshow. Know a sandwich that should be featured? Email The Daily Meal or comment below. Better yet, become a contributor and write up your favorite today!
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts