- M.F.K. Fisher born (1908)
Sandwich of the Week: Bar Gernika Basque Pub’s Lamb Grinder
Bar GernikaThe lamb grinder from Bar Gernika Basque Pub in Boise, Idaho
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
- Sandwich of the Week: CBD Provisions’ Country Pâté Bánh Mì
- This Company Wants to Deliver a Grilled Cheese to Your Door
- Sandwich of the Week: Peter’s Clam Bar’s Lobster Grilled Cheese
- Sandwich of the Week: The Ainsworth’s French Onion Burger
- America’s Best Pizza? Says Who? Here’s Your Chance to Set the Record Straight, or Forever Hold Your, Er, Slice
Boise, Idaho, might not be the place you’d expect to find a traditional Basque pub, nor one of the best sandwiches in existence. But there they are, right on South Capitol Boulevard. There’s actually quite a large Basque population in Boise.
Bar Gernika Basque Pub is a no-frills bar and restaurant with just about nothing in the way of décor, but their Lamb Dip, and its cousin the Lamb Grinder, speak for themselves. A locally baked French roll with a soft interior and crispy crust is piled with sliced leg of lamb and served simply with a cup of lamb jus on the side for the dip, but ordering the Grinder really puts it over the top. It gets a topping of grilled onions, peppers, and mushrooms, which is all covered in a layer of Swiss cheese.
There’s a reason why this place has been around for 20 years, and this lamb sandwich is a big part of it (it’s also been named the Idaho State Sandwich, just sayin’). And don’t forget to get a side order of creamy croquetas.
Click here for other featured sandwiches or check out the 2012 Year in Sandwiches and the Sandwich of the Week Slideshow. Know a sandwich that should be featured? Email The Daily Meal or comment below. Better yet, become a contributor and write up your favorite today!
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts