- Cream of Wheat invented (1893)
- Cream of Wheat introduced (1893)
Guacamole del Sur
- 1 1/2 avocados, skinned and pitted
- 1/2 Ounce tomatillo, diced
- 1 Teaspoon lime juice
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1/2 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1/10 Ounce grasshoppers (chapulines)
- 1/2 Teaspoon cotija cheese
Yes, that's right, there are grasshoppers in this guacamole. Grasshoppers add a pleasant crunch to this regional take on traditional guacamole from chef Richard Sandoval of the La Sandia Restaurants. In Oaxaca, these delicacies are known as chapulines. They may be a little hard to come by, but a good bet is to try a Mexican grocery store.
See all appetizer recipes.
Combine the first 5 ingredients in a Molcajete glass. Combine the grasshoppers and cheese in a small bowl. Muddle the contents of the glass and combine with the grasshoppers and cheese.
Calories per serving:247 calories
Dietary restrictions:High Fiber, Low Carb Sugar Conscious, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Pork Free, Alcohol Free, No Oil Added, No Sugar Added