European way our family makes this sweet and sour soup, served cold or hot portions. It's easy and wonderful !
1 bunch beets ( about 4 medium )
5 Cups water
1 Teaspoon citric acid ( sour salt )
Fresh lemon juice or white vinegar
white granulated sugar
powdered chicken bouillon to taste
salt and pepper to taste
Hot boiled potato
Notes and substitutions:
, bunch beets ( about 4 medium ) , water , citric acid ( sour salt ) , Fresh lemon juice or white vinegar , white granulated sugar , powdered chicken bouillon to taste , salt and pepper to taste , sour cream , Hot boiled potato , Chopped chives
Recipe Text Ingredients:
- 1 bunch beets ( about 4 medium )
- 5 cups water
- 1 tsp citric acid ( sour salt )
- Fresh lemon juice or white vinegar
- white granulated sugar
- powdered chicken bouillon to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- sour cream
- Hot boiled potato
- Chopped chives
Recipe Text Preparation:
- Cut stems/leaves off beets but leave on skins and cover with water ( add a splash of vinegar so beets remain red ) and cook about an hour until tender.
- Drain and peel off skins ( slips off easily ) under running cold water.
- Coarse shred beets by hand into a soup pot.
- Cover with the 5 cups of water. Add citric acid, vinegar ( or lemon juice ) along with sugar to make a sweet and sour taste as desired.
- Add a bit of powdered chicken bouillon if desired.
- Normally equal quantities of sweet and sour OR 1 part sugar to 1/2 part sour should give the desired taste you want.
- Heat and stir to dissolve sugar and let soup simmer a few minutes to blend flavors.
- Remove from heat and cool and chill well.
- To serve one may stir in some sour cream into the soup ( it becomes a vivid pink!!) or just dollop sour cream onto individual portions
- Or garnish with chopped chives sour cream, or perhaps a hot boiled potato into the cold soup!