- Pillsbury Doughboy trademarked (1970)
'Pretty Little Liars' Season Premiere: Be the Perfect Party Host
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
For those of you Pretty Little Liars fans out there, we know that tonight is the long-awaited winter premiere. "A" returns in full-force after the sneak-peak Halloween special, and if we know anything about the drama-filled, action-packed thriller (revolving around stiletto-clad Pennsylvanian high school seniors, of course), we know that the new season is bound to be overflowing with murder and mystery... and so much "A."
And for those of you who know absolutely nothing, or maybe just a little, about the show, Pretty Little Liars is a series airing on ABC Family based around the novels written by Sara Shepard. The show, which first aired June 8, 2010, is now in its fourth season, and, in a few words, is an American teen drama-mystery-thriller about four friends who lose their pack leader and BFF to a tragic and mysterious death, and are then haunted by the taunting and cunning mystery of the murderous "A," who at this point in the show, we've found out is actually a group of many, and their plotting knows no end.
But whether you've been a fan from the beginning, are just now starting, or watch simply because the show is now attached to another high school series, The Lying Game (which airs directly after Pretty Little Liars, also on ABC Family), we thought we'd round up some menu hosting tips and tricks for the viewing party enthusiasts, and the show devotees.
First thing's first, the menu. Any way "A" can be disguised in your food is a perfect excuse for a Pretty Little Liars-themed feast.
- Cupcakes: Inscribe "A" onto the bottom of your cupcake liners before you fill them with batter. When guests finish their treat, or rip them out of the liner before eating, they will find their own little scare and a message from "A."
- Cookies: For a less discreet offering, make cookies with an A-shaped cookie cutter, and serve them on several platters throughout the room.
- Takeout: Order in your favorite cuisine for snacking during the show (we all know takeout is a favorite of the Pretty Little Liars seniors and friends). Put your emphasis on packaging, and don't forget to either use a sauce to inscribe an "A" on top of the dish, or add a message to the underside of the top of the box.
- Fortune Cookies: Create messages from "A" and slip them into self-made or store-bought fortune cookies. Give them to guests as a parting gift, maybe amongst a sampling of your "A" cookies, in clear gift bags.
Don't forget to theme the drinks as well. You can be clever in all aspects of entertaining.
- Coffees: If you know Pretty Little Liars, you know their choice drink. Seldom is there a moment without a coffee cup in one of the girl's hands, whether or not it is even close to full. (Not to mention Em's coffee shop side job stint.) Make or bring back coffees and lattes, and serve in to-go cups for your guests. Inscribe a message from "A" in red ink under the sleeve for an added surprise.
- Ice cubes: Drop small plastic letter "A"s into ice cube trays, then fill with water and freeze. Serve sparkling water with a lemon wedge, with your "A" cubes danicng inside.
- Flasks: If you want to get really creative, don't forget the fateful night when "A" slipped some unwanted additives into Em's flask. Either use as them for serving, adding a hint of cranberry or other flavoring to your sparkling water, or give them to guests as a parting gift.
Staying in theme, you daring hostess you, we can't forget the playlist for your Pretty Little Liars tunes.
Other tricks? Inscribe a message from "A" in red lipstick on the bathroom mirror. Write messages on napkins in red ink for surprises for the guests, and put a sign with "A" on your front door to mark the apartment or house for the party.
Word to the wise... don't watch the premiere alone. Happy watching.
Tyler Sullivan is The Daily Meal's assistant editor. Follow her on Twitter at @atylersullivan
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts