Potato Recipes That Aren't Boring
Today on The Daily Meal
- Cook and Janitor of Nursing Home Kept Working without Pay Because 'If We Left, They Wouldn't Have Nobody'
- Outpouring of Appreciation for Cook and Janitor Who Stayed Behind at Shuttered Nursing Home (and How You Can Help)
- 8 Irish Whiskies Beyond Jameson
- America’s Unhealthiest Fast Foods
- 8 Great Thanksgiving Toasts for Every Family
Bring back the carbs! Is that low-carb diet fad over yet? Because The Daily Meal is excited to feature our very own potato recipes in this week's Recipe SWAT Team.
Potatoes aren't just an efficient means of delivering carbohydrates to our bodies — they're also a great source of vitamin C, dietary fiber, and potassium. Not to mention, they're also delicious, and can be prepared in nearly as many ways as there are varieties — fried, roasted, mashed, boiled, puréed, or baked, put into casseroles, transformed into gnocchi, turned into edible baskets — you name it, and it's probably been done.[slideshow:[slideshow:
To help you get the most out of your spuds, here are a few helpful tips:
- Avoid keeping potatoes in the refrigerator, which will cause the starch to break down into sugar.
- Like apples and avocados, potatoes will oxidize when cut, so place them in a bowl of cold water with a little bit of lemon juice or vinegar to keep them from turning brown before cooking.
- Use starchy potatoes like russet for frying, roasting, and mashing, and waxy potatoes like red or new potatoes for soups, stews, and salads. Medium-starch potatoes like Yukon Gold can go either way.
This week, we have seven original recipes developed in-house, plus a couple from the Culinary Content Network.
Last, but not least, before you jump into the kitchen, we'd like to give a shout out to the winner of this week's contest, Jessica Chou, one of our associate editors. Congratulations, Jess! Check out her recipe for Potato Flatbread.
Will Budiaman is the Recipe Editor at The Daily Meal. Follow him on Twitter @WillBudiaman.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts