Post Hurricane Sandy: Volunteer, Donate and Get Assistance
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
Given the needs of the community in New York and New Jersey, Yeah Thats Kosher has compiled ways to help those affected by Hurricane Sandy and for travelers who are in New York and New Jersey.
Places to Receive Assistance:
Achiezer – Food – lunch and dinner is being served at both locations:
– Shor Yoshuv Yeshiva: 1 Cedar Lawn Avenue, Lawrence, N.Y.
– YI of Woodmere: 859 Peninsula Blvd., Woodmere, N.Y.
- Achiezer – Clothing – new and used clothes will be available to those who need it at Shor Yoshuv Yeshiva.
- Achiezer – Cleaning/Pumping – several crews available to help clean, shlep, and pump out water-filled basements. If you require such a service you may call 347-752-1400. You may also email firstname.lastname@example.org. Achiezer is also running Laundry services
- Relief Shabbos in Silver Spring – Buses from Far Rockaway and Teaneck went to Kemp Mill, Md. this past shabbbat for free where families were hosted by the local Young Israel. They are planning another free shabbat for any family that needs it for this upcoming Shabbos (Nov. 9).
- Masbia Soup Kitchen – Locations in Boro Park, Flatbush, Williamsburg, Rego Park (Queens)
- FEMA – For those who lost power through the storm, FEMA is providing them up to $300 in food stamps.
Places to Donate:
- Achiezer – Five Towns and Far Rockaway
- Sephardic Bikur Holim – Brooklyn
- Mazal Day School – Brooklyn
- Masbia Soup Kitchen – Brooklyn and Queens
- UJA Federation Relief Fund
- NY Blood Centers – Donate Blood
- Seagate Hurricane Emergency Fund – Seagate, Brooklyn's Jewish community was largely destroyed
Places to Volunteer:
- Achiezer – help in their center, or help people clean people's homes. Contact: 347-752-1400
- JCorps – young Jewish singles volunteering in places of need in the New York area this week – Sign up to their email list to be notified:
- UJA Federation – has compiled a huge list of volunteering opportunties in the five boroughs and Long Island.
- TabletMag – also has a great list of volunteering opportunities in NYC:
For more on Kosher Travel and Kosher Restaurants, please visit YeahThatsKosher.com. Also from Yeah That's Kosher...
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts