- Albert Roux born
- Piereogi Day
Portable Pizza Muffins
- 1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup whole-grain flour
- 2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 3 Tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1/4 Cup plus three tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 Cup Sneaky Chef Orange Purée*, or baby food carrot purée
- 1/2 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 Cup shredded mozzarella cheese
These are great for the lunch box, especially for kids who are tired and bored with sandwiches. They get three top-notch veggies, three whole grains, calcium, and protein all in a portable package of a muffin. Kids love anything called "pizza." They are also a great after-school snack.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 12-muffin pan or line with paper muffin cups.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and oregano. In another large bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, canola or vegetable oil, ¼ cup of the tomato paste, Orange Purée, and grated Parmesan cheese until well combined. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until the flour is just moistened. Don’t overmix.
Divide the batter evenly among the 8 muffin cups. Top each muffin with a teaspoon of tomato paste and about one tablespoon of grated mozzarella.
Bake 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Turn the muffins out of the tins to cool or serve warm.