PointsPlus Wheat Berry and Bulgur Turkey-Apple Stuffing Recipe
- 3/4 cups wheat berries
- 3/4 cups bulgur
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces ground turkey breast
- 1/4 cup sage, chopped
- 3 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup leek, sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 s large Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 1/2 cup canned chicken broth
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- PointsPlus Mexican Clementine and Jicama Salsa
- PointsPlus Balsamic Asparagus and Cherry Tomato Salad
- PointsPlus Spinach with Tomatoes and Feta
- PointsPlus Roasted Cauliflower with Parmesan Cheese
- PointsPlus Super Easy Chicken Noodle Soup
- PointsPlus Spicy Sweet Potato Oven Fries
- PointsPlus Quinoa and Tomato Salad
- PointsPlus Sesame-Ginger Pasta Salad
- PointsPlus Chipotle Black Beans with Orange and Lime
Here’s a healthy and satisfying take on stuffing. Feel free to either just use wheat berries or bulgur instead of the combination. Just double the amount.
Place the wheat berries in a medium-sized saucepan and cover with 3 inches of water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring once or twice. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, about 1 hour. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
Meanwhile, put the bulgur in another medium-sized saucepan and cover with 3 inches of water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until until tender, about 10-12 minutes. Drain and transfer to the same bowl as the wheat berries.
Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add the turkey to the skillet and cook, breaking up into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in 3 tablespoons of the sage, 1 ½ tablespoons of the thyme, ½ teaspoon of the salt, and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper. Cook, stirring, until the turkey is coated with herb mixture, about 1 minute. Transfer to the bowl with the wheat berries and bulgur.
Heat the remaining oil in the same skillet. Add the leek and celery and sauté until they are almost tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in the apples and sauté until they are light golden, about 4 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of the broth and bring to a simmer. Cook until the apples and vegetables are tender, about 2-3 minutes.
Stir in the remaining sage, thyme, salt, and pepper and toss over low heat for 1 minute. Scrape into the bowl with the wheat berries and bulgur. (If desired, stir in enough of remaining broth to moisten the stuffing to your liking.) Stir in the parsley.
Note: You can prepare this recipe a day in advance. When ready to serve, coat a shallow 2- to 3-quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Spoon in stuffing, cover dish, and bake at 350 degrees until heated through, about 30 minutes.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts