PointsPlus Butternut Squash, Sage, and Mushroom Casserole Recipe
- 2 medium-sized (about 1 ½ pounds each) butternut squash
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound white button mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced thinly
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 11 ounces fat-free evaporated milk
- 3 medium-sized shallots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sage, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 8 ounces whole-wheat lasagna noodles
- PointsPlus Mexican Clementine and Jicama Salsa
- PointsPlus Balsamic Asparagus and Cherry Tomato Salad
- PointsPlus Spinach with Tomatoes and Feta
- PointsPlus Roasted Cauliflower with Parmesan Cheese
- PointsPlus Super Easy Chicken Noodle Soup
- PointsPlus Spicy Sweet Potato Oven Fries
- PointsPlus Quinoa and Tomato Salad
- PointsPlus Sesame-Ginger Pasta Salad
- PointsPlus Chipotle Black Beans with Orange and Lime
Try this butternut squash lasagna for dinner tonight. Sage and sautéed mushroom casserole make the perfect pairing in this sweet and savory dish.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Cut 1 squash in half lengthwise. Peel the other squash and cut into ½-inch cubes. Coat a nonstick cookie sheet with cooking spray. Remove the seeds from the squash that was cut lengthwise and place cut side down on the cookie sheet. Roast until very soft, about 35-40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 chopped garlic cloves. Swirl the skillet to mix and cook until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add the mushrooms and ¼ teaspoon salt. Increase heat to high and cook, stirring often, for 6 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the cubed butternut squash. Let cool.
Put the evaporated milk, shallots, remaining 2 garlic cloves, and sage in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and remove from heat. Scrape the flesh of roasted squash halves into a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher and then add the milk mixture. Mash to mix. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Coat a 9-by-9-inch pan with cooking spray. Spoon ½ of the mashed squash into the bottom of the pan and spread into an even layer. Top with 3 uncooked noodles (you will need to break them to make them fit) and spoon 1 cup of the mushroom-squash mixture on top. Top with ½ cup of mashed squash and repeat the layers 2 more times ending with ½ cup of mashed squash.
Cover the pan with foil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake 10 more minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand 10 minutes before slicing into 6 pieces.
Calories per serving:366 calories
Dietary restrictions:High Fiber, Low Fat Vegetarian, Egg Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free, No Sugar Added