Peppered Chicken with Tomatoes and Zucchini Recipe
Daily Value: 14%
Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Wheat-Free
|Folic Acid (B9)||77µg||19%|
|Fatty acids, total monounsaturated||4g||0%|
|Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated||2g||0%|
Exclusive from The Daily Meal
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs, each cut into 3 pieces
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 onions, cut into wedges
- 4 tomatoes, chopped roughly*
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 large zucchini, cut into ¾-inch rounds
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Toss the chicken thighs in the oil, then coat in ½ of the pepper and season with salt, to taste. Heat a saucepan and cook the chicken gently to color but not scorch (spices become bitter if the heat is too intense). Brown all over, then remove the chicken and set aside.
Add the garlic, ginger, and onions to the pan, and fry over medium heat for 8-10 minutes to lightly color and soften the onion. Add the remaining black pepper, tomatoes, turmeric, garam masala, zucchini, and water.
Cook for 5 minutes, then return the chicken to the pan, and cook for 10 more minutes before checking the seasoning and folding in the cilantro. Remove from heat and serve.
Total fat: 4.8 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Sodium: 200 mg
Dietary fiber: 3 g
Sugars: 8.9 g
Adapted from “The Essential Low Fat Cookbook” by Antony Worral Thompson (Kyle Books, 2011)Servings: 4
Special Designations: Low-fat, Healthy
Notes and Substitutions:
*Note: If your tomatoes are a fairly tasteless variety, you might do better to add 14 ounces canned chopped tomatoes, in which case you won’t need the water.