Oysters in Garlic Butter Recipe
- 3 sourdough boules, about 8 inches in diameter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8-10 shucked oysters, preferably ones similar to Hummock Island Oysters
- 1 lemon, sliced in half for juicing
- Cucumber Yogurt with Dill
- Grilled Beef Tenderloin Tips
- Baked Asparagus with Fried Egg and Dill
- Canned Tuna Open-Faced Sandwich
- Kale, Mango, and Avocado Salad
- Strawberry and Ricotta Appetizer
- Raw Artichoke, Lemon, and Parmesan Salad
- Strawberry, Cheddar, and Chive Spring Salad
- Halibut Cheeks with Meyer Lemon and Basil Vinaigrette
These escargot-style oysters are served in a toasted bread bowl with a garlicky, butter sauce that's brightened with freshly choped parsley and a splash of lemon juice. The oysters are sweet and succulent, similar to a mussel but much more tender when lightly sautéed and then baked.
While I made these in medium-sized sourdough boules, you can always make them in individual rolls to serve this as an appetizer.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Carve out a hole in the top of each of boules and pull out some of the doughy interior (this can be used to scoop up some fresh cheese or toasted and placed in a panzanella salad). Place the hollowed-out boules on a baking sheet and drizzle the insides and tops (crust side down) with olive oil. Bake for 6-8 minutes, until lightly toasted.
Meanwhile, combine 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, 1 tablespoon of the butter, half of the minced garlic, and the parsley in a bowl. Mix thoroughly, then season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
Heat a deep sauté pan over high heat. When hot, lower to medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of butter. When halfway melted, add 1 tablespoon of the oil and coat the bottom of the pan. Add the remaining garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Then add the oysters, and cook for 30 seconds on each side. Remove from the heat.
Divide the oysters between the bread boules, then pour the parsley-garlic mixture on top and any remaining liquid in the pan. Return to the oven for about 2 minutes. Serve immediately with a squeeze of lemon over each bowl and additional sprinkling of pepper.
Calories per serving:693 calories
Dietary restrictions:High Fiber Sugar Conscious, Egg Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Alcohol Free
Have a question about nutritional data? Let us know.