Open-Faced Smoky Tomato Grilled Cheese Recipe
Daily Value: 20%
|Folic Acid (B9)||109µg||27%|
|Fatty acids, total monounsaturated||6g||0%|
|Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated||1g||0%|
Pairs Well With
Exclusive from The Daily Meal
- 1/2 pound smoked mozzarella, wrapped in foil, frozen for 10 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- 4 slices thick-cut country-style sourdough, or pugliese bread
- 1 large or 2 medium beefsteak tomatoes, cut into 4 thick slices
- 4 sprigs of basil, for garnish
- Lightly dressed salad greens, for serving
Set the broiler rack 5 inches from the heat source. Shred the cheese on the largest holes of a box grater. You'll have 3 scant cups.
Place the bread on a rimmed baking sheet. Brush both sides with the oil. Broil on one side for 1 minute only, or until the top feels just slightly toasted but is not yet colored. Remove from the oven (keep the broiler on) and flip the bread.
Lay 1 thick tomato slice on each piece of bread. Divide the cheese among the bread slices, pressing firmly so it adheres and blankets the bread's entired surface. (If some falls on the sheet pan, let it. It makes a crispy and delicious garnish.)
Return to the broiler until the cheese bubbles and turns golden brown, watching carefully and snatching the pan from the oven just before it burns. Drizzle each slice with a thin stream of olive oil, garnish with a basil sprig, and serve with plenty of salad.