- First espresso machine patented (1938)
Obama Loves His Pizza
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
- New Champion? Matt Stonie Beats Out Joey Chestnut Again by Scarfing 10.5 Pounds of Ribs
- Alice Waters, Chef and Food Activist, to Receive National Humanities Medal From President Obama
- Tyler Florence’s Advice for Aspiring Food Truck Owners
- Chef Profile: A Voce Madison’s Davide Venturini
- New England Dunkin’ Donuts to Offer Judge Free Coffee for Life Following Tom Brady’s Suspension Lift
With just less than two weeks to go before Election Day, President Barack Obama is still hot on the campaign trail, having spent time this week in Davenport, Iowa, to greet supporters and reaffirm the importance of voting. Stopping into Antonella’s Pizzeria, the president sat down with nurse Vicki Felger, retiree Marcia Teshak, and business owner Deb Willaredt and ordered a small "works" pizza without ham, and a salad that would’ve pleased the first lady.
The Sioux City Journal reports that Antonella’s owner John Sgro was completely unaware of the president’s intention to visit his pizzeria, noting that, "It was a big surprise… I just see people in suits, walking around. Then I’m told we have a special guest. He wanted to come to a mom-and-pop place."
After lunch, Obama was greeted by several pre-patted down supporters, who expressed their intentions to vote for him come Nov. 6. Partisanship may pervade politics, but everyone can agree that pizza is delicious.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts