Obama Loves His Pizza
Recipe of the day
- Marc Forgione on His Cookbook, Abolishing Tips, and His Favorite Vodka
- Noma Documentary Launches Indiegogo Campaign
- Pete Wells Awards No Stars to Javelina, Shows Off His Backhand
- April Bloomfield in Talks for Elaborate 4-Story Restaurant with a Rooftop in Downtown Manhattan
- The Daily Meal Talks Career, Cuisine, and Contributions with Stephan Pyles
With just less than two weeks to go before Election Day, President Barack Obama is still hot on the campaign trail, having spent time this week in Davenport, Iowa, to greet supporters and reaffirm the importance of voting. Stopping into Antonella’s Pizzeria, the president sat down with nurse Vicki Felger, retiree Marcia Teshak, and business owner Deb Willaredt and ordered a small "works" pizza without ham, and a salad that would’ve pleased the first lady.
The Sioux City Journal reports that Antonella’s owner John Sgro was completely unaware of the president’s intention to visit his pizzeria, noting that, "It was a big surprise… I just see people in suits, walking around. Then I’m told we have a special guest. He wanted to come to a mom-and-pop place."
After lunch, Obama was greeted by several pre-patted down supporters, who expressed their intentions to vote for him come Nov. 6. Partisanship may pervade politics, but everyone can agree that pizza is delicious.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts