- St. Martha: Patron of Dieticians
Oat Porridge Recipe
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 2 tablespoons oat bran
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds*
- 1 tablespoon cracked flaxseed
- 8 dates, chopped roughly
- 8 prunes, chopped roughly
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of sea salt
- Low-fat milk or milk replacement, for serving
It's no secret that I love oats. I also love the holiday season! There is something about cuddling up indoors with loved ones that makes me feel so cozy inside. I make this dish throughout the year and it always reminds me of those special celebrations.
Place all of the ingredients except for the milk in a medium-sized saucepan with 3 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally. Cook for 10 minutes for a chewier texture and 12 minutes for a softer texture.
Remove from heat, cover, and let sit for 3 minutes. Serve hot with low-fat kefir, low-fat milk, or milk replacement, such as soy, rice, or almond milk.
*Note: Chia seeds can be found in health food stores or online.