Nutella Lawyers Up Over Boloco Milkshake
Recipe of the day
- What Did The World's Most Notorious Criminals Request for Their Last Meals?
- ‘World’s Hottest Burger’ is Doused in Hot Sauce and Literally Set on Fire
- KFC is Launching Edible Coffee Cups Made of Cookies and Chocolate
- Fermented Shark and 10 More of the World’s Stinkiest Foods
- Foods That Make You Feel Fuller Longer
- Where to Eat America's Best Macaroni and Cheese
- Bobby Flay Has Found the Best Focaccia in the World
- Days Before Ending Service, Cinnamon Snail Food Truck In Such High Demand that Line Limits are Imposed
- Here are the James Beard Foundation’s Five Picks for the 2015 America’s Classic Award
- A Sriracha Quesarito is Headed to Taco Bell
The restaurant industry has its share of crazy lawsuits, but when the lawyers come after the delicious chocolate milkshakes, we all lose.
Boloco, a Boston-based burrito chain, has had a “Nutella Milkshake” made with Nutella, skim milk, and frozen yogurt on their menu for the past 14 years, but chief executive John Pepper recently received a cease and desist letter from Ferraro, Nutella’s parent company.
“After 14 yrs as their faithful advocate, Nutella's lawyers have sent us an immediate cease & desist on the use of their name :-/,” Pepper Tweeted.
According to the Huffington Post, Ferraro says they don’t “endorse the use of Nutella or the Nutella brand in frozen beverages,” which is sort of like not endorsing the use of chocolate in conjunction with peanut butter.
A blog post on the Citizen Media Law Project indicates that Boloco might have a case, but Pepper has chosen to avoid trial and just stop selling the milkshake for now, while he looks for a new provider of a chocolate/hazelnut-type spread.
“We’re going to lose business because of this,” Pepper said. “People love Nutella. It’s a top seller of all our shakes and smoothies by some margin.”
People do love Nutella. To exercise your right to use Nutella in different applications, check out some of our best Nutella recipes for some new ideas.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts