No More Refillable Coca-Cola Glass Bottles
Recipe of the day
- What Did The World's Most Notorious Criminals Request for Their Last Meals?
- ‘World’s Hottest Burger’ is Doused in Hot Sauce and Literally Set on Fire
- KFC is Launching Edible Coffee Cups Made of Cookies and Chocolate
- Fermented Shark and 10 More of the World’s Stinkiest Foods
- Foods That Make You Feel Fuller Longer
- 8 Drinks That Help Fight Diabetes
- New Product Offers ‘Wine Without the Hangover’… Because There’s No Alcohol in It
- Soda Company Celebrates ‘Deflategate’ with Flat Sodas
- Dr Pepper Snapple Group Teams Up with Keurig for Forthcoming At-Home Cold Beverage System
- Scientists Treat Alcoholics with a Fake Bar and Colored Water
Back before vending machines dominated with their cans of Coke, Coca-Cola used to be sold exclusively in bottles. And before that, Coca-Cola was even sold in refillable bottles, which could be brought back to the company for a small reward. Those days have officially ended, now that the last American manufacturer to produce the Coke bottles has decided to stop.
The Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Winona, Minn., filled its last refillable, 6.5-ounce Coke bottle this week, the Associated Press reports. The change was for business reasons, as the returnable bottles only accounted for less than 2 percent of all business for the company. Still, the last 6,000 bottles marked the end of an era for Coca-Cola enthusiasts. "For some 40 years, from 1915 to 1955, the only way you could have had a Coca-Cola was in one of these embossed glass packages (bottles)," said Phillip Mooney, chief archivist and heritage vice president of Coca-Cola to Gannett, noting it was a "historic" day when the last bottle was filled.
Of course, these collector items were hard to find: the bottles were only distributed to four counties outside of Winoma, Minn. But Coca-Cola collectors will now have a harder time getting their hands on the bottles. Relax: the 8-ounce Coca-Cola bottles aren't going anywhere.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts