World-renowned chef Wylie Dufresne has announced via Twitter that his popular Lower East Side restaurant wd~50 will be closing on November 30 after serving innovative, modern cuisine for over a decade. Although chef Dufresne hasn’t commented yet on the closing of the restaurant, and said only to “stay tuned,” there have been reports that the building that houses wd~50 will soon be demolished and replaced by a large brick building.
Nov 30 will be our final night of service at wd50. Come celebrate with us for the next 173 days. Stay tuned!! pic.twitter.com/DGnbfkkrV6
— Wylie Dufresne (@wyliedufresne) June 10, 2014
According to Grub Street, earlier in the year when rumors were swirling after renderings of the new building were posted online, a spokesperson for wd~50 confirmed that the Dufresne “had no plans to leave the building before his lease expires in a few years.”
Dufresne’s spokespeople have not yet responded to requests for comment, but the Internet was abuzz last night after the news broke:
— christina grdovic (@grdovic) June 10, 2014
Some thought that the reaction to the closing was a little bit dramatic:
why’re ppl behaving as though WD-50 or Wylie Dufresne is DEAD? the restaurant’s still open right now & the chef’s not turning in his knives.
— charlotte druckman (@cettedrucks) June 11, 2014
In the future we're going to realize wd-50 was the CBGB of this era, with way nicer bathrooms.
— Pete Wells (@pete_wells) June 10, 2014
We couldn't have said it better, Mr. Wells.
Joanna Fantozzi is an Associate Editor with The Daily Meal. Follow her on Twitter @JoannaFantozzi