- Juan Mari Arzak born (1942)
Watch How Restaurant Patrons React to Staged Anti-Gay Act
Recipe of the day
- We Now Know Why Paul Rudd Works at Baskin-Robbins in ‘Ant-Man’
- This Movie Rental Place/Pizza Store Hybrid Is Giving Us ‘90s Flashbacks
- Illinois Couple Named ‘Burger’ and ‘King’ Get Hitched at Burger King
- Watch: Anthony Bourdain Makes a Cartoon Cameo on ‘Sanjay and Craig’
- PetSmart Is Offering Free Pet-Friendly Ice Cream on Sunday, July 19
What do you think would happen when a gay couple walked into a restaurant in the middle of a small town in Mississippi and began showing public displays of affection? We hear the sharp intakes of breath from here, but that’s exactly what the candid camera show, “What Would You Do?” did in their latest episode. Two actors, playing a gay couple, entered the restaurant, and when they began canoodling, customers almost immediately started snickering and whispering. Another WWYD actor, playing a customer, mocked outrage and began openly complaining to the couple.
One woman said, “If my husband were here, and he and I kissed that wouldn’t be okay… even if it’s a heterosexual couple, I wouldn’t watch that.”
So the camera crew brought in a straight couple who began canoodling, and no one in the restaurant batted an eye.
When they brought the gay couple in one last time to this Mexican restaurant in the middle of the Bible Belt, the original actress, posing as a customer, asked the staff to kick the couple out. What happens when the gay couple is finally forced to leave the restaurant? The answer, around six minutes into the video, may restore your faith in humanity.
Joanna Fantozzi is an Associate Editor with The Daily Meal. Follow her on Twitter @JoannaFantozzi
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts