Saudi Man Sets Up Charity Fridge in Heartwarming Charity Act
Today on The Daily Meal
- Leonardo DiCaprioTakes a Break From Acting, Parties With Jonah Hill and More Celebrity News
- Peyton Manning Accidentally Raises $24k for Charity by Shouting "Omaha!" During Broncos vs Patriots Game
- Make Frosty the Cheeseball Man
- Shocker: Cultures Find Meat More Manly
- 'Steak Jamz' Should Be on Repeat in Every Man Cave or Steakhouse, Forever
An anonymous Saudi man from the city of Hail has installed a refrigerator on his property that he and fellow members of the community fill with leftover food, so that the poor people of Hail will be spared the shame of begging for food.
The story gained worldwide attention on social media after it was tweeted by prominent Islamic theologian Mohamad al-Arefe.
— د. محمد العريفي (@MohamadAlarefe) May 1, 2014
Here’s the translation from the BBC: "I've always said the people of Hail are generous. A man puts a fridge outside his house for leftover food; an indirect act of charity for the needy. Oh how I love you, Hail!"
In advance of the upcoming Muslim celebration of Ramadan, which will begin at the end of June, a Bahraini citizen called Salah told Gulf News that a similar concept should be implemented in Bahrain.
“There is the food factor, but there is also the spiritual dimension, especially during the sacred month when people engage deeply in acts of charity,” said Salah.
Karen Lo is an associate editor at The Daily Meal. Follow her on Twitter @appleplexy.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts