How Do Strangers React When a Shopper Can’t Feed Her Family?
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
- Netflix Picks Up ‘Green Eggs and Ham’ Animated Series Produced by Ellen DeGeneres
- Elaborate Bento Boxes and Other School Lunch Art Look Cool, but Draw Criticism
- Here Is a Video of a Real Life Wild Fox Making a Sandwich
- The True Story of the Cook and Janitor Who Cared for Patients at an Abandoned Nursing Home Is Being Made Into a Film
- Hearts Explode After Teenager Walks 96-Year-Old Man Home From the Grocery Store
One in five American households is on food stamps, according to the USDA. Times are tough for everyone these days, but families are being hit especially hard. So what do you think happens when a young woman in a supermarket runs out of food stamps to pay for her groceries? The candid camera TV show, ABC's What Would You Do?, which puts people in difficult situations on hidden camera, had three different actresses come into a grocery store in New Jersey and pay for groceries with food stamps. In each scenario, the woman does not have enough funds to pay for her food.
Usually people try to mind their own business, but in each situation, several people offered to help pay for the woman’s groceries. One woman, when interviewed after, explained why she did it.
“Everyone has hardships but if you can help people it’s important, no matter what. I’ve been in her place before. If you can help somebody else, do it.”
But not everyone is so generous. The WWYD team also planted a “heckler,” who complained about people helping out a woman on food stamps. What happens next may bring a tear to your eye.
Check out more food and drink related-What Would You Do videos below:
A young man with Down Syndrome is berated by customers at a grocery store. Watch what happens next.
An overweight woman is berated by her waiter at a restaurant. See how people react around her.
Joanna Fantozzi is an Associate Editor with The Daily Meal. Follow her on Twitter @JoannaFantozzi
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts