Toddler Who Choked on Grape at Pizza Hut Has Died

Two-year-old Jacob Jenkins was taken off life support five days after the incident
Toddler Who Choked on Grape at Pizza Hut Has Died

Photo Modified: Flickr/Mark Hillary/CC 2.0

Jacob Jenkins was placed in a medically-induced coma after he choked on a grape at Pizza Hut.

Jacob Jenkins, the two-year-old boy who stopped breathing after he choked on a grape during a visit to Pizza Hut, has died.

After the incident, which took place in a U.K. Pizza Hut on Friday, October 9, Jenkins was rushed to the hospital. Doctors at the Royal Victoria Infirmary placed him into an induced coma for five days.

According to U.K. broadcasting network ITV, although doctors initially hoped that they would be able to remove the toddler from life support, Jenkins’ parents made the decision to let their son die after it became clear that he would not recover.

In a statement, a Pizza Hut representative told the BBC that the company “was devastated to learn of Jacob’s tragic death,” and that grapes had been removed from the menu “with immediate effect.”

On Wednesday, October 14, well-wishers released hundreds of yellow balloons in Jacob’s honor at the Seaton Carew seafront near the Jenkins’ home. Jacob’s parents later released a statement expressing their gratitude “for every word, every picture, and every prayer.”

Related Links
KFC and Pizza Hut Closed in Nepal After Workers Threaten to Kill ManagersPizza Hut vs. The Black KeysPizza Hut Delivery Guys Help Catch Robbers