More Than 100 People Fall Ill in California After Eating Chipotle

Staff Writer
More Than 100 People Fall Ill in California After Eating Chipotle

Chipotle

You don't expect to get so sick after eating a Chipotle burrito.

A Chipotle restaurant in California has been thoroughly investigated by health authorities after more than 100 people fell ill last week. Health inspectors are reporting that on August 18 and 19, 98 customers and 17 employees fell ill, and many went to the ER after eating food from the Chipotle.

As of right now, it is unclear exactly what made the customers and employees ill, according to Food Safety News. However, after the restaurant was hastily shut down on Friday, inspectors found several alarming health violations, including unsanitary condition on the premises, unclean utensils, dirty restroom facilities, and equipment hooked up directly to the sewer.

“When we were contacted by customers who reported feeling poorly after visiting our restaurant in Simi Valley, we immediately began a review of the incident and have taken all of the necessary steps to ensure that it is safe to eat there,” Chris Arnold, a representative from Chipotle corporate headquarters, said in a statement.

Although the restaurant is reopened, the LA Daily News has reported that many employees are still refusing to return to work for fear of spreading the illness further. 

Related Links
Foodborne Illnesses DoubleFood Sickens Millions Each Year and More NewsNorovirus Sickens 172 Cruise Ship PassengersChicago Using Twitter to Monitor Foodborne Illnesses CDC Says Foodborne Illness Rates Have Dropped in Recent Years