Glass Nutella Jar Left in Sunlight Thought to Have Caused Destructive House Fire

Investigators believe that rays of sunlight refracted through the glass jar caused the fire

Photo Sasabune Omakase Modified: Flickr/erin/CC 4.0

Unlike plastic, glass containers left in direct sunlight can ignite a flame. 

An empty Nutella jar is believed to have been the source of a massive house fire earlier this month in London, resulting in the death of the family’s dog and severe damage to their home, according to Get West London.

At the time of the fire, Declan Murphy and his family were out celebrating an anniversary, though their dog, Chili, was trapped inside and subsequently died of smoke inhalation.

The fire is believed to have started as rays of sunlight were focused through the empty glass Nutella jar, which behaved like a magnifying glass. By the time the local fire department was alerted to respond, the fire had seriously damaged the roof and first floor, and took 21 firefighters to put it out.

In a statement, Murphy told the publication, “I want to ensure other people are aware of the dangers and know to keep glass items away from windows and out of direct sunlight so they don't have to go through anything like this.”

Rate this Story