If you noticed that your local supermarket was fresh out of avocados this weekend, you can probably blame Chipotle and their hordes of guacamole-loving fans. Chipotle just made dreams come true by releasing the official recipe for their famous guacamole: the guacamole that’s so good you have to pay extra just for a scoop on top of your burrito bowl, but that’s addictive enough that you grumble and shell out the $2 anyway.
We were pretty surprised to see that the recipe is actually fairly simple. No bells, whistles, or secret sauces: just avocado, lime juice, cilantro, and chopped onion. We wonder how it stacks up against The Daily Meal’s expert guacamole recipes. Here’s the Chipotle guacamole recipe breakdown.
2 ripe Hass avocados (In the restaurant, we use 48 per batch, multiple times per day)
2 teaspoons lime juice
2 tablespoons cilantro (chopped)
1/4 cup red onion (finely chopped)
1/2 jalapeño, including seeds (finely chopped)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
HOW TO DO IT:
1. Choose the right avocado. It should feel squishy yet firm (like the palm of your hand), and be a nice dark green color on the inside.
2. Cut the avocado in half and the remove the pit (carefully!)
3. Scoop the avocados and place in a medium bowl.
4. Toss and coat with lime juice.
5. Add the salt and using a fork or potato masher, mash until a smooth consistency is achieved.
6. Fold in the remaining ingredients and mix well.
7. Taste the guacamole (over and over) and adjust seasoning if necessary.