New York's Haven Academy to Open Rooftop Garden with Ellie Krieger on Food Day 2012
Recipe of the day
- The Best Food Safety Tips for Blizzards
- Gordon Ramsay and 9 Other Chefs Who Cheated Death
- Michael Moore, Seth Rogen Banned from Michigan Restaurant over ‘American Sniper’ Comments
- Healthy and Fast: Wholesome Meals You Can Make in 30 Minutes or Less
- What is the Most Nutritious Vegetable You Could Have?
What better way to encourage healthy eating in America than to open an herb and vegetable learning garden? Food Day 2012 is a grassroots movement comprised of thousands of local events throughout the country, each focusing on improving diets and reducing obesity in their area. The rooftop garden will open at Haven Academy this Wednesday, Oct. 24, and not a moment too soon — the school is located in the poorest congressional district in the United States, plagued by obesity and hunger.
Students will join celebrity chef Ellie Krieger (of Food Network’s Healthy Eating) for a cooking lesson on food, flavor, and taste. She will focus on the benefits of whole grains, healthy oils, and how to use herbs and citrus instead of salt to enhance flavors. In addition, the kids participating in the demo will learn to create their own healthy salad recipe, featuring three grains, three beans, and plenty of colorful vegetables.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts