Wikimedia Commons/ McKay Savage
Some sad food-related news to report today, as earlier this week a 2-year-old girl died after suffering a seizure brought on by ingesting chili powder.
While little additional information is forthcoming, the girlfriend of the girl’s father, 21- year-old Amanda Sorensen, has been arrested and is currently being held on $500,000 bail, according to The Sun. It appears as if she forced the girl to ingest the powder, and if convicted she could be facing a sentence of 25 years to life.
While chili powder and other very spicy foods can bring about serious discomfort, actual instances of people dying from ingesting spicy food is very rare. As we learned recently, it would take 3 pounds of chili powder to kill a 150-pound man, but tissue inflammation, heart burn, and pain would likely kick in before fatal levels were reached. And as recently as last month, a spicy soup burned a hole in a Chinese man’s stomach, sending him to the emergency room.